What’s an employment expo and how to participate
Imagine that you’re on the search for a job when, suddenly, you find an endless number of recruiters and employer companies within your field of skill and/or interest, and all in the same location! This is known as an Employment Expo or Job Fair; an event that’s organized periodically in different cities with the primary goal of connecting job seekers with employers.
In this article, we’ll explain everything that’s needed to know about job fairs, the benefits of attending, and our tips on how to best take advantage of them.
What’s an employment expo?
A job expo or job fair is an event that aims to facilitate the meeting between companies looking to hire and individuals looking for work. At a job expo, attendees are able to see first-hand the various job opportunities available in their field of interest, as well as the requirements and conditions offered by companies.
In addition, job seekers can submit their resume, be interviewed, participate in workshops, networking activities, and receive professional guidance.
It’s undoubtedly a unique occasion for candidates to improve their chances of finding a job that meets both their abilities and expectations. It’s also a great way to expand the network of professional contacts, learn about labor market trends and acquire new skills and knowledge. For this reason, it’s important to attend these fairs with a proactive, prepared and optimistic attitude so as to make a good impression and stand out among the other candidates.
Types of job fairs
When it comes to employment expos, there are different types that may address a specific industry or audience, and may even be conducted in diverse formats. Here’s some of the most common expos:
- General employment expo: This is the most common and it covers job offers from various sectors and profiles. Usually organized by public entities, universities or employment agencies, they are aimed at all types of job seekers, regardless of their level of training or experience.
- Sectoral employment expo: An expo with a focus on a specific industry, such as technology, education, health or tourism. They’re usually organized by associations or companies within the particular sector with an aim towards individuals who have training or experience related to the field and who want to know the opportunities it offers.
- Youth career expo: Aimed at students, recent graduates or young people without work experience who are just starting their professional career or looking for their first job. They are usually organized by educational entities, youth organizations or employability programs.
- Virtual job fair: These expos are carried out through digital platforms, such as web pages, apps or social networks. They’re usually organized by companies or job portals and are aimed at people who want to access job offers from anywhere without having to travel.
- Knowing when and where job expos are occurring
To find out when and where a job expo takes place, there are several sources of information that you can consult. Some of them are:
- Employment web pages: there are many employment portals that publish the dates and places of the employment expos that are organized in your city or in your country. Some examples are CazVid, JobFairsIn, and Indeed. You just have to enter their website and look for the events or job fairs section.
- Social networks: many companies and entities that organize employment expos broadcast their events through social networks such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. You can follow their profiles or look for the hashtags related to the job expos to keep up with the news.
- Media: some media, such as newspapers, magazines or radio, also report on job shows that take place in your area. You can subscribe to their newsletters, listen to their programs or read their articles to find out about the calls.
- Professional contacts: Another way to find out when and where a job expo is taking place is through your professional contacts, such as co-workers, former bosses, teachers or friends. They can recommend some job expos that they have found interesting or that fit your profile.
Advantages and disadvantages of job fairs
As it is with everything, there are both pros and cons to job exhibitions.
Advantages of job expos
- They allow you to access a large number of job offers in one location and in a short time.
- They give you the opportunity to contact recruiters directly and make a good impression.
- They offer the chance to participate in training activities and career guidance that can improve your profile and job search.
- They can help in expanding your network of professional contacts and learning about labor market trends.
Disadvantages of job expos
- They can be very crowded and can generate a lot of competition among candidates.
- They become exhausting and stressful if you’re not well organized and don’t have clear goals.
- Sometimes they generate false expectations or frustration if you don’t get the results you expected.
- They may require a trip or an expense that you cannot afford.
Tips on preparing to attend a job expo
- Find out in advance about the companies and offers that interest you: Check their web pages, social networks and their requirements and choose the ones that best fit your profile and prepare your questions and answers accordingly.
- Tailor your resume to each offer: Highlight your achievements and skills that are most relevant to the specific job positions you’re looking to apply. Have several copies of your resume printed and in digital format. You can also bring a business card with your contact details and professional profile.
- Prepare a video resume in advance: Having a video resume will make you a highly competitive candidate. Create a video resume, share it on CazVid and have the link readily accessible for viewing at the job expo. Employers love when candidates show tenacity and seriousness in their applications.
- Dress appropriately and professionally: Choose clothing that makes you feel comfortable and confident, but also conveys a positive image according to the position you are applying for. Avoid very bright colors, excessive accessories, or clothing that is too casual or careless.
- Be punctual and have a positive attitude: Plan your route and method of transportation to avoid unforeseen events or delays. Smile, say hello, and show interest and enthusiasm about offers and companies. Be polite, respectful and appreciative of all attendees.
- Be brief and clear when interviewed: Don’t extend too much or ramble your answers. Summarize the most important aspects of your profile, your experience and your training. Show that you know the company and the position you are applying for. Highlight your strengths and areas for improvement.
- Take advantage of the complementary activities: Participate in the workshops, talks or networking sessions that are offered. So you can learn new things, improve your skills and expand your network of contacts. You can also demonstrate your proactivity and your interest in employment.
- Follow up after the event: Write down the names and details of the people you spoke to. Send them an email or call to thank them for their attention while reminding them of your interest in the offer. Be attentive to their answers and their instructions.
In summary, a job expo provides a great opportunity to find the job you want. However, to make the most of it, it’s important to be well prepared. Consider the tips we’ve shared that will help you stand out from all the other candidates. Remember that a job expo is more than a place to submit your resume, it’s an opportunity to show your talent, personality and your added value.