Utilizing Video Resumes for Competency Analysis
In today's workplace, having experts with the right abilities to carry out their responsibilities efficiently is becoming more and more crucial. Because of this, hiring procedures have grown increasingly stringent and intricate, necessitating the use of instruments that enable the competences of applicants to be assessed accurately and impartially.
This post aims to define competency analysis, discuss its significance, outline its advantages for the hiring process, describe its implementation, and highlight the potential benefits of using video resumes.
A Competency Analysis: What is it?
The process of determining, characterizing, and quantifying the competences necessary to carry out a particular job or function is known as a competency analysis. A person's competencies are the information, skills, attitudes, and beliefs that enable them to carry out an activity or find a solution.
Depending on the field they pertain to, competencies can take many forms. Among them are:
- Technical abilities are those that come from becoming an expert in a certain field or set of tools. For instance, being able to operate a commercial machine, speak another language, or know how to program in a computer language.
- Transversal competencies are those that apply to various contexts and situations and are associated with both professional and personal development. For instance, being able to communicate, collaborate with others, adjust to change, or make decisions.
- Digital competences pertain to the effective and conscientious utilization of information and communication technology (ICT) for the purposes of acquiring, transforming, producing, and disseminating data. For instance, being able to use computer programs or social networks to do an Internet search for information.
Importance of Performing a Competency Analysis
It is crucial to perform a competency analysis for a number of reasons.
- Outlines the minimal and ideal qualifications that the ideal candidate must fulfill, as well as the professional profile of the position or function that needs to be filled.
- Create a suitable personnel selection procedure and use the best tools and approaches to assess the necessary competencies.
- Examine each candidate's professional profile in comparison to the job description or function's professional profile, then choose the best fit based on predetermined standards.
- Enhances the validity, objectivity, and reliability of the outcomes by improving the people selection process.
- Maximizes the use of human resources that are available, giving preference to candidates who fit into open positions or roles, and enhancing motivation, performance, and job satisfaction.
Advantages of this Kind of Analysis Throughout the Hiring Process
The following are some advantages that competency analysis offers the hiring process:
- It makes it easier to draw in the best candidates by making it possible to distribute job offers that are clear, precise, and visually appealing and that clearly outline the qualifications needed for the role.
- It makes it easier to assess the talent that is accessible and permits the use of accurate and valid exams and tools to gauge the competencies of applicants.
- It makes it easier to compare candidates' outcomes with the requirements set forth for the role or job, which makes it easier to choose the best talent.
- Because it provides positive feedback to candidates—chosen and not—with the goal of assisting their inclusion into the position or function, it aids in the integration of selected talent.
- By identifying employees' strengths and areas for improvement, it makes it easier to develop their current talent by enabling training and professional development plans to be tailored to their requirements and expectations.
How to Carry out an Analysis of Competency
The following procedures are used in order to complete the competency analysis:
- Establish the goal of the analysis: choose the position or function you wish to examine and its intended use (e.g., to fill a vacancy, enhance performance, etc.).
- Gather information: Use a variety of sources and techniques to gather information about the work or function that you wish to examine (for example, direct observation, interviews, questionnaires, etc.).
- Determine competencies: Considering the organizational environment and labor market trends, choose the competencies that are thought to be required to carry out the task or function that you desire to examine.
- Explain the competencies: give a detailed description of each competency, including information on its level of mastery, content, and metrics that enable measurement.
- Verify the relevance and acceptance of the competences by comparing the ones that have been identified and described with the persons who are actually involved in the process (e.g., those in charge of the position or function, employees, clients, etc.).
Using the Video Resume as a Competency Analysis Tool
A person's training, experience, and talents are presented in a brief video (about two or three minutes) that serves as their professional biography. This is known as a video résumé. For competency analysis, this kind of CV can be highly helpful for a number of reasons:
- It displays qualities of the applicant, such motivation, creativity, body language, and speech expression, that are impossible to assess with a conventional written CV.
- Compared to a standard written resume, it is more dynamic, unique, and individualized, which draws the attention of the recruiter or employer.
- It sets them out from the competition by emphasizing the abilities they have that match the role's or position's professional requirements.
- Because it enables a preliminary screening of prospects prior to extending an invitation for an in-person or virtual interview, it saves time and resources for both the employer and the recruiter.
Which Abilities are Assessable Using a Video Resume?
Various skill sets can be assessed through the video format. Among them are:
- Technical skills: abilities pertaining to particular knowledge and instruments unique to a field or occupation can be assessed. For instance, if the applicant displays in the video a task or project completed, a certification earned, or an actual application of their abilities.
- Transversal competences: make it easier to assess competencies linked to both professional and personal growth. For instance, if the applicant demonstrates in the video their capacity for decision-making, teamwork, communication, and adaptation to change.
- Digital skills: It is possible to evaluate abilities linked to the effective and responsible use of ICT. For instance, if the applicant demonstrates in the video how proficient he is with social media, digital platforms, or computer applications.
To sum up, competency analysis is an essential procedure to raise the caliber of the hiring process since it lets you specify the professional profile of the role or function you wish to fill, create a suitable selection process, evaluate candidate profiles, and choose the best fit.
The video resume is a very helpful tool for competency analysis because it lets candidates highlight aspects of themselves that are not possible to assess with a traditional written resumes. Candidates can grab the attention of employers or recruiters, setting themselves apart from the competition. Employers can evaluate a variety of competencies, and save time and resources.